June is a busy month for gardeners in the CSRA.
The heat is on, humidity up and growth boundless.
Here are a few things to do in June & keep July
in the back of your mind…Time to plan the fall garden!
- Plant more Southern peas, beans, corn, and okra from seed.
- Garden stores still have transplants ready to put in the ground. Find more squash, peppers, eggplant and tomatoes!
- Tie up tomatoes, peppers, cukes, and pole beans to keep an upward growth habit! Use tall wood posts, stakes, bamboo.
- Fertilize your veggies. I’ve been using Espoma soil fertilizer and fish emulsion spray on my vegetable garden this year.
- Plant pumpkin seeds! Remember they need lots of room & be sure to look at maturity days for length of time you’ll need before they are ready!
- Last chance to plant sweet potatoes.
- Start rooting your hydrangeas.
- *Plant zinnias, celosia, sunflowers, broomcorn, amaranthus and cosmos all from seed…Order from Johnny’s Seeds while they still have a super selection.
- Buy some dahlia bulbs and get them in the ground!
- Not too late to plant annual transplants…marigolds(lots of
pretty varieties now!), impatiens, caladiums, coleus, ornamental
sweet potato vine, and periwinkle(vinca)..
Still lots of gardening to do this month!
Join us at Garden CSRA! on Facebook!